Grand Pockets’s Blog

Genealogy, Family, Poetry and Peeves

Lewis and Leander Durbin and the 121st Ohio in the Civil War

Muster-out roll of company G, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio regiment, mustered into the service September 11, 1862:

Corporal Lewis Durbin, enlisted Aug 17, 1862

Private Leander Durbin elisted Aug 17, 1862

On the tenth of September the regiment, nine hundred and eighty-five strong, left Camp Delaware for Cincinnati, where it was supplied with worthless Prussian muskets, and placed on guard duty about the city. On the fifteenth it crossed over to Covington and went into camp. Remaining there only five days it proceeded to Louisville and was assigned to Colonel Webster’s brigade of Jackson’s division, McCook’s corps.

Up to this date the regiment had not been drilled an hour, was without discipline and of course unfitted for active service. In this condition it joined General Buell’s forces in pursuit of Bragg, and thus became engaged at Perryville. It is not to be wondered at that those farmer boys fresh from the plow, never having heard the sing of bullets or the snarl of a shell, could not stand up in line and be shot down like veterans. When they observed the near approach of the long grey lines of Bragg’s veterans, with that peculiar, steady dare-devil stride, with bright muskets and glistening bayonets, they simply threw down their worthless Prussian muskets and fled from the field. Captain B. F. Oder, of company K, was killed in this battle. Looked at in the right light this retreat was no disgrace, but it was keenly felt by the regiment, and gallantly did the men redeem themselves on many a bloody field. “Wipe out Perryville” was thereafter their battle cry, and Ohio did not send to the field a braver or more efficient regiment or one with a better record.

After the battle of Perryville, the regiment was detailed to remain on the battlefield to bury the dead and look after the wounded. It remained in Kentucky doing guard duty and looking after John Morgan’s guerillas, up to January, 1863, and was then taken, in transports, to Nashville, Tennessee, leaving Louisville about the last of January. From Nashville it went to Franklin, arriving there in February, where it performed service in watching and protecting the right flank of the army of General Rosecrans, then at Murfreesboro.

March 27, 1863, on application and petition of all the line and field officers of the regiment Lieutenant Colonel Henry B. Banning, of the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio, was detailed by General Gordon Granger, to take charge of the regiment, and under his management it soon became one of the best drilled and disciplined regiments of the brigade to which it was attached. Colonel Banning was soon after transferred to this regiment by order from the War Department.

When Rosecrans’ army moved forward from Stone river, the regiment moved with it and was attached to the reserve corps, under command of General Gordon Granger.

At Triune, on this march, the regiment was attacked by the rebel General Forest, and after a sharp fight Forest was driven back. This affair gave the men confidence and taught them the value of drill and discipline. On the third of July the regiment occupied Shelbyville, Tennessee, remaining there three weeks, and being drilled incessantly.

About the twenty-fifth of August the regiment was ordered to occupy the town of Fayetteville, Lincoln county, Tennessee, a strong rebel district situated twenty-five miles from any post. Colonel Banning barricaded the public square and went into camp, notifying the citizens that in the event of being attacked he would burn the town.

September 5, orders were received from General Steedman to proceed to Cowan, on the Chattanoga railroad, by way of Winchester, where it joined the reserve corps under General Gordon Granger, and proceeded to Chattanooga, and on the fifteenth went into position at Rossville, eight miles south of Chattanooga.

On the seventeenth the regiment, in company with the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio, under General Steedman, made a reconnaissance to Ringgold, reaching that place in time to witness the arrival of reinforcements—Longstreet’s corps. The next day at 10 A. M. it fell back to Rossville, and at 6 p. M., marched to the relief of Colonel Daniel McCook’s brigade engaged with the enemy at Rossville. The enemy withdrew during the night, and the regiment returned to camp at Rossville. In the afternoon of the nineteenth the regiment was ordered to support General Whittaker on the Ringgold road. It took up a position on the left of the road and bivouacked for the night. At 10 A. M. on the twentieth it became fully engaged in the battle of Chickamauga, forming the right of Steedman’s division of the reserve corps.

In this action it was commanded by Colonel Banning, and acquitted itself with much honor. Colonel Mitchell, who commanded the brigade, made special mention of the regiment, as follows:

At one time during the early part of the engagement, the right of the line became endangered by a bold move on the part of the enemy to capture our battery, which was doing most efficient service for us. To counteract this movement another bayonet charge was ordered, and the triple line of the enemy fled in disorder. During this splendid charge the One Hundred and Twenty-first captured the battle-flag of the Twenty-second Alabama and bore it with them from the field.

Regarding the action of the regiment in this battle General Gordon Granger had occasion to use the following words:

The action of Colonel Banning came under my personal observation during the late battle of Chickamauga. To him as much as to any other man is owing the remarkable obstinacy with which the two brigades, one of which was largely composed of Ohio troops, for more than seven hours held the key of the position on that battlefield, repulsing the repeated combined attacks of more than five times their number, and saving the army of the Cumberland from destruction. This cool bravery and gallantry was more conspicuous at a time when it was supposed all was lost, and nothing was left to our gallant soldiers but to save their honor by falling beside their dead comrades.

The following is Colonel Banning’s report of the operations of the One Hundred and Twenty-first, from September 17th to the evening of the twentieth inclusive:

The One Hundred and Twenty-first moved from Rossville, Georgia, on the morning of the seventeenth, with one day’s rations, on the road in the direction of Ringgold. At 11 A. M. we halted to lunch four miles from Ringgold, and drove in the enemy’s pickets. The regiment was held in reserve with the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio, and two pieces of artillery, to cover the withdrawal of the troops who had crossed the west Chickamauga creek. General Steedman having finished his operations in front, and ascertained the strength and position of the enemy, his division returned in the direction of Rossville; the One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio brought up the left; the command retired without incident, except the firing on our rear by pursuing cavalry. Major Yager promptly brought a company into line and delivered a volley which punished them so severely that they left our rear unmolested during the remainder of the march.

We halted two miles beyond East Chickamauga creek. When all had grown quiet, at 11 P. M., the enemy placed a battery in position in our rear and shelled the camp; the pickets fired on them and drove them back. Our fires were soon extinguished, and we slept on our arms till morning, the enemy having withdrawn, the command took up the line of march, and returned to Rossville—this regiment on the right.

At 6 P. M., in pursuance of orders from headquarters, we moved, with one day’s rations, to assist the First brigade, commanded by Colonel Dan McCook, who was engaging the enemy on the Lafayette road, six miles from Rossville, formed a junction with him and bivouacked for the night. At daylight, having formed to receive an attack the enemy were about to make, we were ordered to withdraw; returned to camp at Rossville and found our camp equipage packed and ready to start for Chattanooga. We were turned into a temporary camp for dinner, and remained until late in the afternoon, when we were ordered to support General Whittaker, who was engaging the enemy on the Ringgold road. We moved out on that road on double-quick, made connection with General Whittaker’s brigade, and bivouacked for the night.

On the morning of the twentieth the regiment with the division was ordered from this point to the support of Major-General Thomas, commanding the centre corps of the Army of the Cumberland. After passing to the right one mile, a battery opened on us from the woods on the left; no casualties occurred, and after a march of three miles, we formed a junction with General Thomas. Being threatened by a flank movement, General Steedman’s division was thrown on the extreme right. The Third brigade, commanded by Colonel Mitchell, was on the right of the division, and the One Hundred and Twenty- first was on the right of the brigade, and on the extreme right of the entire corps. Here we were met by a bold charge from the enemy immediately upon coming into line, but with a firmness that would have done honor to veterans the enemy were repulsed and driven from the hill. Three successive attempts were made upon my front, and each time the enemy were compelled to fall back, and although my loss was heavy, it was nothing compared to the dead and wounded of the enemy, over which my regiment charged in pursuit.

The following is a list of the killed, wounded and missing in company G:

Corporal Bryant Mitchell, killed; William H. Rowley, wounded in left thigh; Lewellyn M. Hartley, wounded in left lung; George W. Ewers, wounded in right thigh; A. T. Lambert, wounded in right hand; Harrison Farris, fore-finger; Robert Wells, left fore-arm; Mellville B. Rowley, in the back by artillery; First Lieutenant William B. Dunbar, left thigh.

James Sinclair, of company F, was wounded, and Colonel Banning’s horse was killed under him.

Colonel Banning’s report continues:

My regiment went into action with twenty-one commissioned officers, of whom two were killed and seven wounded; and with two hundred and fourteen non-commissioned officers and privates, of whom seventy-six were killed or wounded and eight missing.

Lieutenant B. S. Fleming, of company I, was killed in the first charge, shot through the head, while gallantly leading his men. Lieutenant James A. Porter was first shot through the leg and afterward through the bowels on the second charge we made upon the enemy, of which latter wound he died before he could be taken from the field.

Every officer and man did his duty and was at his post; no soldier left his post even to help his fellow soldier from the field, ‘ and notwithstanding the manner in which the ranks were depleted, and the superior numbers with which we had lo contend, every man kept his place and steadily advanced until we had expended every round of ammunition in our cartridge boxes, and all that could be gathered from the cartridge boxes of the dead and wounded, then retired in good order upon orders. Our last charge was upon the Twenty-second Alabama, which were driven from the field and their colors captured. Upon these colors, which are now in my possession, are inscribed “Twenty-second Alabama regiment,” “Shiloh,” ” Murfreesborough.” The regiment shot down and captured another stand of colors, but the man who was carrying them off was wounded, and left with the colors upon the field.

I desire to make special mention of Surgeons Williams and Hill, also Chaplain Drake, for energy displayed in caring for the wounded on the Held; also Lieutenant Peters, regimental quartermaster, who was the only quartermaster who succeeded in getting ambulances upon the field and bringing off the wounded. And I desire especially to mention the gallant services of Major John Yager and Adjutant Filch, who had charge of the regiment on the last charge it made, as I was stunned by the fall of my horse when it was shot. Adjutant Fitch’s horse was shot, and he remained on foot at his post during the whole of the engagement, cheering on the men.

Henry B. Banning,
Lieutenant Colonel Commanding Regiment.

In acknowledging the receipt of the battle-flag of the Twenty-second Alabama, captured by this regiment, Governor Tod said:

The battle flag I am proud to receive and deposit in an appropriate room, as a trophy of the heroic valor and patriotism of your gallant command. Please convey, colonel, to your brave officers and men my profound admiration for their glorious achievements on that desperate field, and the heartfelt thanks of all Ohio’s loyal people.

Falling back behind the entrenchments at Chattanooga, the regiment took position on the right, and in the reorganization of the army was assigned to the Second brigade, Second division, Fourteenth army corps, and remained quietly at Chattanooga until after the battles of Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge, in which it took a prominent part. The following is a detailed account of the operations of the One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio volunteer infantry in the expedition into East Tennessee in the fall of 1863, after the battle of Chattanooga, from a letter written by Adjutant Fitch:

In pursuance of orders from brigade headquarters the regiment moved from its camp on Foringer’s ridge, opposite Chattanooga, at six A. M., November 24, 1863. The brigade moved four miles up the Tennessee river and crossed it on pontoon bridges near the mouth of Chickamauga creek. A line was formed perpendicular to this stream, with the right resting on the Tennessee river. The regiment remained under arms during the day and bivouacked that night in the same place.

November 25th, the line which was formed from Davis’ division, was advanced a quarter of a mile, and halted in a piece of wood, covering a piece of low swampy ground. This was done to prevent the enemy from turning Sherman’s right flank while the latter was operating on the eastern slope of Mission ridge near the tunnel. They lay in this position until ordered to cross the Chickamauga creek near its mouth, which was accomplished at two A. M. on the twenty-sixth, and then moved up the Tennessee until six A. M., when they halted for breakfast. Soon after daylight the march was resumed; there were signs of the enemy in front and the troops moved cautiously. Leaving the line of the river they came across a temporary work, behind which the rebels had camped the night before. Moving by a circuitous route, they arrived at the junction of the Cleveland, Chattanooga and railroads. These roads cross the Chickamauga on two different bridges, the one on the Atlanta road having been destroyed by the enemy.

From this point the command marched in line of battle by brigade, General Morgan’s brigade having the advance; the brigades of General Beatty and Colonel Dan McCook, formed the second line, and in the rear the corps was drawn up by division. In this manner they moved on Chickamauga Station- After a little artillery practice and desultory skirmishing, the enemy was driven from the works. At the station were found large quantities of subsistence, two siege guns, several torpedoes and other war material.

The brigade moved forward to find a desirable camping place for the night; a line of skirmishers having been established, the One Hundred and Twenty-first was ordered to support them on the right of the Graysville road. When about two miles from the station this regiment came upon the pickets of the enemy, whom they drove before them and soon came upon the enemy in force. They consisted of three regiments and two guns, commanded by Brigadier General Maury, and were acting as rear guard for a train. They opened on the One Hundred and Twenty-first with musketry and artillery at the same time. The regiment received the first shock and immediately advanced across two fields, about five hundred yards, and here held their ground until the remainder of the brigade came into position. Their battery opened upon the enemy, but as it was now growing dark, the enemy ceased firing and withdrew. General Maury (rebel) was wounded in this engagement. The officers and men of the regiment conducted themselves with the greatest coolness and bravery. Major Yager, of Fredericktown, was in command of the regiment and handled it with admirable skill. The brigade encamped for the night near the field.

On the twenty-seventh the troops advanced without interruption through Graysville, when they met the remainder of the Fourteenth corps, under General Palmer, enroute for Ringgold. The One Hundred and Twenty-first advanced to within two and a half miles of Ringgold, and encamped with the brigade, while the rest of the army was engaging the enemy at that point.

On the twenty-eighth they moved five miles beyond Ringgold, and this closed the campaign which followed the battle at Chattanooga.

On the evening of the twenty-eighth orders were received to move at daylight the next morning on an expedition of ten days, during which they were to subsist on the country. On the twenty-ninth they marched eighteen miles, camping near Cleveland, Tennessee. On the thirtieth they made a march of twelve miles and went into camp two miles south of Charleston, Tennessee. December 1st they marched eight miles; supplies were scarce, many of the men had not tasted food for twenty-four hours. December 2d, marched fourteen miles, and camped five miles north of Mt. Verde; on the third, advanced to within four miles of London, a large town on the Tennessee river. The men were hungry, tired, ragged and almost shoeless. On the fifth they crossed the Tennessee river at Morgantown. Here they heard of Burnside’s success, and turned their steps toward their old camp at Chattanooga, which they reached on the nineteenth of November, after much hard marching, and many hardships; their rations consisting generally of pork and cornmeal, and scant supplies of this.

In May, 1864, the One Hundred and Twenty- first Ohio moved with Sherman’s army in the Atlanta campaign.

The first engagement in which the regiment participated in this campaign was that of Buzzard’s Roost May 8th. It drove the enemy from an important position at the mouth of the gap. At Resaca it covered the retreat of General Judah’s brigade after a charge in which it was repulsed. When the enemy retreated from Resaca the regiment formed a part of General Jefferson C. Davis’ division in its movement for the capture of Rome, Georgia. In this affair the regiment was complimented by its brigade commander for having been first inside the city.

On the twenty-fourth of May the regiment took position on what was known as the Dallas line, and was constantly in the front engaging the enemy daily, losing nine men killed and wounded. June 19th it reached and occupied a position at the foot of Kennesaw mountain, where the next few days, with the great loyal wave that rolled up and fell back from the rugged face of old Kennesaw, many a gallant life was destined to go out. The regiment suffered considerably in occupying its first position, losing eleven men killed and wounded. On the evening of the twenty-sixth Colonel Durbin Ward relieved the regiment from this position, which that officer named the “Valley of Hell.” At 10, A. M., on the twenty-seventh the regiment formed part of the charging column of the Fourteenth corps upon Kennesaw Mountain, and in that disastrous affair lost one hundred and sixty-four officers and men killed and wounded. It succeeded in making a lodgement close up under the enemy’s guns, and held it, thereby securing possession of the National dead and wounded; but dearly did the regiment pay for its bravery. Among the commissioned officers the regiment mourned the loss of Major John Yager among its bravest and best; also the accomplished Captain Clason, the young and promising Patrick, and the brave and reliable Lloyd. There were also eight officers wounded.

Speaking of the death of Major Yager, Adjutant Fitch says, in a letter to his bereaved widow:

Early yesterday morning our regiment with the remainder of the army were drawn up in line for a charge on the enemy’s lines. At a given signal we advanced ; the enemy fell back before us, but the price of victory was a dear one. It was directly in front of the enemy’s works, foremost in the line of his duty, that Major Yager fell. He was wounded in three places—in the left arm just below the shoulder, through both thighs and in the right knee. His pistol and memorandum book were taken from his body by the enemy, who controlled the ground on which he fell. Nothing else about his person was disturbed. His body will be sent home directed to S. S. Tuttle, of Fredericktown. His wounds were of such a character that he must have died soon. He looked calm and peaceful. The major was generous, brave, and possessed true nobility of soul; he was true to his family and friends, and died as a soldier wishes to die—facing his foes.

From a letter signed “Knox,” dated near Marietta, Georgia, June 28, 1864, the following particulars of this engagment are taken :

We have again passed through the “Baptism of fire”—an ordeal that will cause may tears and shadows to fall at the firesides of many Knox county homes. Early yesterday morning it was announced to the army that there would be a general advance of our lines upon the enemy’s position. Between 9 and 10 A. M. all was ready; the advance was formed in two lines of battle with two lines in the rear as reserves. Just before 10 A. M. an unusual stillness prevailed on our entire front. It was the stillness succeeding an awful storm. Suddenly the roar of artillery from given points along the line announced that the army was ready to move, and the command “Forward!” passed along the lines. With bayonets fixed and arms trailed, the long lines, preceded by skirmishers, leaped over the works. The distance to the enemy’s works in our immediate front was about Haifa mile, a swampy piece of ground intervening. In a few minutes our skirmishers met those of the enemy, and a sharp encounter ensued. Our battalion advanced with shouts to their support, on double-quick, and the enemy’s skirmishers gave way, but they were not quick enough and most of them were captured. Our lines continued to advance under heavy fire of grape and canister to within a short distance of the enemy’s stronghold. Our skirmishers reached the ditches under the enemy’s guns, but were compelled to fall back on the reserve, which had gained the ridge in front and laid down within fifty yards of the rebel works, and were compelling them to keep their heads down by a continuous fire.

The One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio, Colonel Banning, was placed in the second line, covered by the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio, until the lines halted, when we were deployed, having the One Hundred and Thirteenth on our left, and as we supposed the Ninety-eighth Ohio, and Seventy-eighth Illinois on our right. From some cause these two regiments did not come to our support and we were left to a murderous enfilading fire of grape, canister and musketry. In addition to this misfortune the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio on our left, having lost its commander in the onset, gave way, thereby not only exposing our regiment to a cross fire on the left, but the enemy perceiving the confusion took advantage of it and rising above their works poured in a heavy volley. Also, at this juncture, a brigade on our right was driven back and the order to retreat passed along the lines.

Colonel Manning’s orders were to hold his position, and although we were much exposed, instead of retreating he determined to hold his position until he received further orders, or the exingencies of the position became so critical as to leave no other alternative. The case was desperate—no support right or left. The One Hundred and Twenty-first held the enemy in check along the whole front of the brigade. Closely did we hug the ground, and every tree and stump was utilized for protection. Toward evening the enemy, finding it impossible to dislodge our regiment without coming out of their works, gave up their endeavers, with the exception of occasional shots from sharp-shooters. They were at bay, with no distance between our lines and their works to establish a picket line. Part of the regiment was sent a little to the rear to entrench, and when night set in the work of taking the wounded from the field began.

Colonel Banning conducted himself with the utmost coolness, and has already received the highest commendations for the manner in which the regiment conducted itself under fire and without support. It is said General Thomas accomplished what he wanted, but at dear cost.

Following is a list of killed and wounded in the Knox county companies: Killed—Major John Yeager; Captain Lina Patrick of company G, a young man from Logan county; Corporal Linsey Cullison; privates Eli Lafever and Jacob Wolf. Wounded—company F, Sergeant Josiah McClelland, severely in the side. He subsequently obtained a furlough, came home to Milford township, and died from the effects of his wound.

Corporal Sylvester Best, wounded in the finger; Corporal Jesse Headington, slightly; privates Charles Green, Martin McGaw, Silas Sprague, George Huff and Thomas Chaffane. Wounded— company G, Sergeant M. C. Taylor; Corporal Ayers Nysonger; privates Abraham Crider, Jacob Ayers, Thomas Hoar, Wesley Hoar, Heber Sims, Sidney Wood, Job Hardin, Augustus Bailey, James Perrine and Martin Modi. G. W. Humphrey, Jacob Black and Thomas D. Ayers were missing.

It was a bloody day for the One Hundred and Twenty-first, more bloody even than Chickamauga.

July 9th the regiment was engaged at the railroad bridge over the Chattahoochie, and lost five killed and four wounded. It then went into position on the north bank of the Chattahoochie until the seventeenth. It crossed the river on the morning of that day, and engaged the enemy at Peachtree Creek on the eighteenth. On the twentieth it crossed the creek, drove the enemy and occupied his position. On the twenty-second the regiment joined its brigade, and took position on the right of the National line, three miles from Atlanta. It remained in this position until the fourth of August, when it moved forward and occupied a position on the Sandtown road. While constructing works it lost one man killed, and one officer and four men wounded. It again advanced in line on the fifth, sixth, and seventh, losing nine men wounded. The works of the enemy were occupied.

July 28th the grand flank movement to Jonesborough was commenced. The regiment took the advance in this movement, acting as skirmishers for the Second division leading the column of the Fourteenth corps. It became hotly engaged with the enemy immediately after passing through the earthworks of the Fourth corps, and drove him five miles across the Montgomery railroad. In this affair one man was killed, and two officers and six men wounded.

On the thirtieth the regiment moved with the army in the direction of the Macon railroad, and on the first of September occupied a position one mile north of Jonesborough, to the right of the Macon railroad. At 4 P. M. a charge was made on the enemy’s works, carrying them, and capturing Govan’s rebel battery and many prisoners. This affair forced the enemy to retire from Jonesborough, and it fell into the hands of the National army.

The capture of Jonesborough ended the Atlanta campaign. Atlanta was occupied by the National forces on the eighth. The whole army went into camp around Atlanta, and the official reports of the campaign were made. The following extract is from the report of Colonel Banning of the operations of the One Hundred and Twenty-first:

I started with four hundred and twenty-nine non-commissioned officers and privates, and eighteen commissioned officers. Four officers were killed and eight wounded; twenty-two men were killed upon the field, and two hundred and five wounded; one captured.

The regiment remained in camp about three weeks, resting the men and putting the regimental affairs in proper shape.

For ability as a commander, and distinguished conduct on the Atlanta campaign, Colonel H. B. Banning was, on recommendation of General Jeff. C. Davis (approved by General George H. Thomas), brevetted a brigadier general of volunteers.

About the twenty-ninth of September the regiment was sent back to Chattanooga by rail, where, on its arrival, it was attached to an expedition against Forest’s cavalry, then raiding on the Chattanooga & Nashville railroad. It followed the rebel cavalry, and drove it across the Tennessee river into Alabama. It then returned to Chattanooga and took part in the chase after Hood’s army. Joining the forces of General Sherman at Rome, Georgia, the regiment marched with the expedition to Savannah and the sea. At Rome, Georgia, Colonel Banning reported to General J. B. Steedman for orders, and the command of the regiment devolved upon Lieutenant Colonel A. B. Robinson, who led it to Savannah and up to its final muster out.

The regiment marched with the National forces through the Carolinas, was engaged at Bentonville, where it lost six men killed and twenty wounded. This was the last battle for the One Hundred and Twenty-first, and was also almost the last of the great war. Captains Charles P. Caris and Willoughby were wounded in this battle, the former so severely that he died at Goldsborough.

The regiment camped ten days at Goldsborough, and about the tenth of April moved to Raleigh, and from there to Cape Fear river. In the meantime Lee and Johnston had surrendered. April 22d it fell back to Holly Springs and went into camp. May 1st it joined the march of the National forces through Richmond to Washington, and participated in the grand review.

It was paid off and discharged at Columbus, Ohio, June 12, 1865. Colonel Banning was brevetted major general, “for gallant and meritorious services during the war.”

The following, regarding the flag of the One Hundred and Twenty-first, is from a letter written from Atlanta, September 15, 1864, by the chaplain of the regiment:

The patriotic ladies of our military district remembered our regiment when we left Ohio, and presented us with a beautiful flag. Two years have passed, and a remnant of that flag still remains. This flag was the first one planted at the mouth of Buzzard Roost gap, shared in the victory at Resuca, and was the first one planted on the rebel works at Rome, Georgia. It floated defiantly in the face of the foe at Dallas and Kennesaw. It was the first to cross the Chattahoochie on the seventeenth of July; on the morning of the eighteenth the regiment was ordered on a reconnaissance, advanced and planted this flag, the first on the bank of the Peachtree creek, whose waters were on the twentieth crimsoned with the blood of our braves. In all the memorable engagements in front of Atlanta this flag bore a conspicuous part. It was the first planted on the Montgomery railroad after the loss of eight of its brave defenders. At the battle of Jonesborough it was the first to cross the enemy’s works, and was planted upon Sweet’s captured rebel battery; and here its gallant defenders resisted two desperate charges of the enemy to retake their guns. Through fire and blood this flag has been carried, and although tattered and torn by the bullets of the enemy, it has never been disgraced.

The same writer also gives the following list of losses in companies F and G from May 1, 1864, to the date of the letter:


Wounded.—James Lint, Josiah McClelland, George Huff, Thomas Chaffane, George Breckenridge, William Hammond, Sylvester Best, Silas Sprague, Francis McGibbon, Peter Feister, Stiles Sunkins, Edwin Davidson, Martin McGraw, Charles Green.

Company G.

Killed.—Captain L. A. Patrick, Thomas D. Ayres, Henry Cullison, Eli Lefever, Jacob Wolf.

Wounded.—Lieutenant James Ball, Lieutenant Maholm Willoughby, C. M. Taylor, Jacob Ayres, Heber Sims, Augustus Ball, Martin Modi, Henry Weeks, John Crill, William Bergen, Samuel Henry, Ayres Arsinger, Thomas D. Hoar, Sidney Wood, Jacob Black, Robert Wells, James M. Black, Charles Sommers, J. B. Brown, Mathew Moore, Abram Crider, Wesley Hoar, Job Hardin, James Perin, M. Holler, W. H. H. Davis, David McFarland.

Beginning Page 326

History of Knox County Ohio, Its Past and Present

Return to Genealogy Pages

Return to Blog


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: